I was elated today to receive my membership to Germans From Russia Historical Society, as the thick envelope enticed me with a gluttony of knowledge so rich, it almost made me faint with intellectual hunger. This particular historical society is based in Bismark, North Dakota, and was recommended to me by the director of the Marion Museum in Marion, KS. She also recommended the other society, but tomorrow and following days I will be anticipating another feast.
This hunger and passion and burning desire for knowledge is nothing I have ever experienced outside Love or God, which may be one and the same. The closest I ever imagined anyone feeling this way was Moses before the burning bush, but even he may have been overwhelmed by the fire in his heart, hotter and more demanding of mind and spirit than the amazing flame before him.
The fire is contagious, and I can see it create sparks of passion in others to help me find what I am looking for; to quench and satiate my appetite, until another unanswered question fuels the fire to a roaring inferno again.
So with delight, I quickly studied the entire packet of information, finding two small tidbits of info about the Meiers, but little to no info about the town of Fransozen or Grimm where the Meiers called home. But, I also learned that this particular society focuses on the catholics and sutterites that left for America in the 1800's, and settled on the northern plains of the United States. However, I won't discredit it as a source of useful information, as their geneological library may have more of what I am looking for in terms of family history.
The one disquieting thing in the packet was the youth brochure. It seemed all so-matter-of-fact when it was describing how the Russian Government under the Bolsheviks and Stalin managed to renenge on all the promises made to the Volga and other Germans, and forced them to flee in fear. Many escaped, but anyone that foolishly stayed behind in the hopes that the political targeting of German settlements would get better once the government was in power found themselves at one of three ends: first, a slow death by starvation, a quick death by the hand of a soldier or criminal leader in the area, or forcibly removed from their homes and relocated to a concentration/work camp where they were worked to the death. Very few Volga Germans survived this attempt of eradication by the Russian government. So on that cheery note, the brochure reminded the Youth to take pride in their heritage, and find out more! Yes, disturbing, isn't it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment